Capsule Wardrobe Challenge Intro + My Capsule Items

January 23, 2017

Have you ever heard of a capsule wardrobe? They were very popular a few years ago when blogging was first on the rise, and then they sort of fell by the wayside. Some of my favorite bloggers, like Kendi Everyday, and What I Wore used to do them often, so I decided to bring it back! 

During the whole month of February I am going to be styling the same thirty clothing itemsI am so excited to be trying a capsule wardrobe out because it is something I've wanted to do for so long! Because I adore the community that blogging brings, I'm asking my readers and friends/family to participate with me! I already filmed a video (see below) on the items I chose, and even created a Facebook group to share daily outfit threads for people who want to share what's in their capsule! Read on to learn more about what a capsule wardrobe is, and why you should try one out!
WHAT IS A CAPSULE WARDROBE?

A capsule wardrobe is where you choose a specific number of key clothing items, usually basics or neutrals, and mix and match those pieces for a specific amount of time. Some prefer to do it monthly, while others have a capsule for specific seasons! This time, I am just trying it out for a month, but who knows? I may love it so much I'll want to purge my whole closet.

WHY SHOULD I USE A CAPSULE WARDROBE?

There are really three reasons that people use capsule wardrobes. They are all really great reasons, and will differ from person to person!

1. To shop their own closet.
Some people (myself included) cannot believe how many items of clothing they own, yet do not wear! You won't believe how giant my closet is, and how much stuff I own, but I probably wear 30% of it, if that.

2. To save money.
Husbands around the world are rejoicing at the thought of saving money on clothes, am I right? No, really, we all love to save money!

3. To declutter and practice simplicity + minimalism.
I watched a couple of documentaries (I'm a total documentary junkie) and it made me realize how many things I have, and how obsessed I am with owning stuff, and I wanted to do this to take a step back from the fast-paced "I have to own everything that's cute and new" world that fashion can entail, and get creative!
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE IN A CAPSULE WARDROBE CHALLENGE?

Like I said, we are doing a capsule wardrobe challenge starting next week (FEBRUARY 1st) and I would love for you to join us! All you have to do is follow the steps below:

1. Pick 30 key items.
Ideally 5 bottoms (pants/jeans/skirts), 10 tops (tees/dressy/sweaters), 5 shoes (a variety is best!), 10 miscellaneous items (so dresses, hats, scarves, etc.) Note: The items you choose depend on your lifestyle. I'm a stay at home/working from home mom, but when I was teaching my items would have been drastically different, so keep that in mind! Also, we don't include PJ's :)

2. Set your items aside and photograph them to share in our Facebook group!
I would love to see what items you chose and what you do during the day, are you a working professional, college student, mom? Let's get to know each other!

3. Get dressed and SHARE! 
The work is really all in step one - haha, but before you leave or at the end of each day, snap a picture of what you wore, so you can show the world how you styled the same 30 items for 28 days! You'll be a pro after February is over!
WHICH ITEMS DID YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR CAPSULE, LARISSA?


I filmed a little video showcasing/explaing the items I chose to style! I am still going back and forth on a few colors, but the clothing is definitely a go! (I have soooo many hats - there are like 5, guys) I need to narrow some stuff down but for the most part this is it! I hope you enjoy!
I cannot wait to have you join in on this challenge with us! Be sure to use our hashtag (see below) and our Facebook group to share your outfits each day!

JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP HERE.
LIKE LIVING IN COLOR ON FACEBOOK FOR OTHER UPDATES
Use the hash tag #LICCAPSULEWARDROBE on Instagram for a chance to have your photo featured on my blog+social media channels!

xo. L

12 comments:

  1. Such great tips. Thanks for sharing!

    Liv

    www.livforstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute ; ]


    xoxo



    i invite to me too


    www.live-style20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are all so beautiful!!! The perfect pieces. Thanks for sharing this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea of shopping your own closet and honing in on the items that truly reflect your personal style! Great post, girlfriend!

    xo, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to do this! Excited to see how you style everything! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to do this with yall. I also think you are the cutest little thing ever. My favorite part is "i will survive"
    Lindsay | sell eat love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay - now this is a FABULOUS idea! I need to get on this and challenge myself to do this soon. Love that you showed how to get this going in a video too.

    xo, Amanda
    www.aglamlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea! I remember when Sydney from The Daybook did one and I loved all the outfits she put together with just 30 items!

    xo Brie
    www.sophistifunkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so fun! I used to love when bloggers did this -- excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your capsule wardrobe challenge is such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! good luck with the challenge!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such great tips! Thanks for sharing babe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...